The Newfoundland and Labrador English School Board will undertake a review of the attendance zones of East Point Elementary and Mary Queen of Peace Elementary in the fall of 2017. The review is required due to enrollment pressures faced by Mary Queen of Peace Elementary and the opening of the new East Point Elementary.
Memos sent to parents and guardians of both Virginia Park Elementary/East Point Elementary and Mary Queen of Peace Elementary can be viewed below:
District staff and Zone 16 Trustee Peter Whittle met with the school councils of Virginia Park Elementary on May 29, 2017 and Mary Queen of Peace Elementary on May 30, 2017. Preliminary information was shared with the school councils at this time. The District presentation from those meetings can be found below.
It is important to note that the information contained in the presentation is preliminary and detailed information gathering will occur in the coming months. The maps used in the presentation were concept maps used for illustration purposes.
The concept attendance zone maps in the presentation can also be found below. Two areas are noted for consideration, though it must be noted these are concepts with further work to take place:
Preliminary Concept Map 1: Rezone East Meadows
- East Meadows neighbourhood (currently zoned for Mary Queen of Peace Elementary).
- The 1.6 kilometre zone of East Point Elementary (excluding the Vanier Elementary attendance zone and the remaining Mary Queen of Peace Elementary attendance zone).
Preliminary Concept Map 2: Rezone Exclusive Non-busing Zone
In the fall of 2017, the process of attendance zone review will include:
- Consultation with the school councils of both schools;
- Finalize formal options for catchment design;
- An online information package for members of the school communities;
- A public information session; and,
- An online mechanism for members of the school communities to provide feedback to the Board.
It is important to note that no decisions have been made regarding future attendance zones and if any change were to occur at the end of the review process it would be implemented no sooner than September 2018.
Should you have any questions about this process, please contact the Senior Education Officer for your school: