Safe & Caring Schools Handbook
Click to download.
In recognition of this, and in line with the Department of Education, the Eastern School District, through its strategic plan, has chosen to make Safe and Caring Schools (SACS) a priority for school development in the region.
Each school will have identified goals for the year, consistent with their individual strategic plan. Many of these will focus on or be related to SACS. As the coordinator of these initiatives, Bernie will be available to consult with school administrators and teams to discuss school issues, to help formulate goals, and to facilitate in the planning and implementation of various initiatives to meet and sustain these goals. Such initiatives may involve: professional development sessions for staff, students and/or parents, providing educational and informational materials, the planning of special events, the initiation of school-wide programs and initiatives and planning strategies for sustainability.
A brief review of Provincial and District Safe and Caring Schools Policy may help to explain the goals of the Safe and Caring Schools initiative.
Guiding Principles of the Provincial Safe and Caring Schools Policy
- All members of the school community are respectful and valued.
- School policies and responses are fair, positive and consistent.
- Positive attitudes and behaviours are expected, modeled, taught and reinforced.
- All members of the school community are actively involved.
- Is free from violence and aggression.
- Promotes respect, health and well-being.
- Embraces diversity.
- Supports resolution of conflict through non-violent means.
- Develop and review strategic plans
- Communicate and raise awareness of strategic plans
- Encourage full support and commitment to these plans
- Establish district level Safe and Caring Schools Team
- Promote the use of preventive, proactive practices
- Establish and follow a school development plan
- Establish a safe and caring schools policy
- Establish a team to lead the development of action plans that:
- include the teaching of positive behavioural expectations
- support the use of best practices in classroom management
- provide guidelines for responding to traumatic events
- Establish a code of conduct for all
- Maintain and analyze school data
- Teach, model and reinforce of positive behavioural expectations
- Have consistent expectations
- Use and promote non-violent means to resolve conflicts
- Demonstrate respect for self and others
- Respect diversity
- Abide by the Code of Conduct
- Arrive at school on time and prepared
- Participate, develop and support safe and caring schools policies and action plans
- Assist their children to demonstrate positive behaviour
- Are active in their children's academic and social progress
- Invite regular communication with school
Click HERE to download/view a copy of the Safe and Caring Schools Handbook.