Healthy Students Healthy Schools is a provincial initiative which aims to create a school environment that supports healthy living for children, youth and the larger school community of Newfoundland and Labrador. As a joint partnership between the Departments of Health and Community Services and Education, the Healthy Students Healthy Schools initiative will see policies and guidelines developed, curriculum enhanced and programs expanded to support the creation of a healthy school environment.
The Eastern School District and Eastern Health have partnered to implement the Healthy Students Healthy Schools initiative in Eastern Newfoundland. Tracy English and Krista Manning, School Health Promotion Liaison Consultants, have been hired to work with schools and various partners to support the implementation of this initiative. Below are examples of how they can support your school:
- Assist with the creation and support of Living Healthy teams
- Provide information on Healthy Students Healthy Schools to school groups, school councils, etc.
- Support schools focusing on student and staff wellness
- Provide schools with support for Living Healthy events
- Assist with the interpretation of the School Food Guidelines with key stakeholders (i.e. administration, catering, etc.)
- Assist schools with applications for funding opportunities
- Assist schools with accessing relevant health promotion resources
- Provide in-services on Living Healthy topics to teachers, principals, parents, catering staff, etc.