The Eastern School District recognizes the responsibility of the news media to provide accurate and timely information to the community concerning issues and events that occur in our schools.
While we are committed to cooperating with the news media, we are also obligated to protect the privacy of our students and staff.
While the media are often invited to cover school events throughout the year, news media also request access to our schools or students.
To help facilitate media requests, all media inquiries must be directed through the manager of communications who will act as the official liaison and primary contact for media. This includes requests for interviews with senior staff, administrators, teachers or students or, for information on district or school policies and procedures.
Principals may exercise their own discretion as to whether or not media is permitted at their school and will ensure that, if allowed, proper procedures are followed. If a principal declines an interview, or if a story is a district issue rather than a school one, the manager of communications will help to provide a spokesperson.
Director of Communications
Eastern School District
Media Access to SchoolsIn order to protect the privacy of our students and staff, media representatives (journalists, photographers, videographers) are not permitted on school grounds to interview, photograph or videotape without prior approval. To facilitate media relations efforts, the media are requested to contact the district's manager of communications and/or the school's administrator in advance of any school visit.
At his or her discretion, a school administrator and/or the manager of communications may grant media access and arrange interviews with staff and/or students.
Interviews will not be conducted during school hours or on school property without the approval and presence of an Eastern School District administrator or designee.
Before any minor is photographed, videotaped or interviewed by the media, a media consent form must be signed by his/her legal guardian.
Request for Information
- The Eastern School District ensures the protection of student privacy. The District will not release any information that may reveal a student's identity.
- The Eastern School District will respect the privacy of its teachers and employees and will not release any personal or personnel-related information.
- The Eastern School District will not comment on any case that is before the courts.
- In cases where the police are involved, all questions related to the police investigation shall be referred to the police.
- The Eastern School District will not release the names of deceased students, teachers or staff out of respect for their families.